Sunday, November 11, 2007

my Ipoh trip

Long time didn't write the blog. After so many month of slacking off is time I continue with my blog. This is about my trip to Ipoh. I take a bus down from KL about 7:30am and reach Ipoh about 10:15am. This is my first time, semi-backpacking to other town that are consider unknown to me. Before that I have do some research and got some map from the internet, and where is the best place to "makan" in Ipoh. As I was from Penang, hawker food will always goes nice to the stomach....haha


This is where it all started, I start my journey in Old town after I took a taxi from bus station to Jalan Bandar Timah in Old Town. This street got a lot of good food. A non-stop eating street. Almost half the famous Ipoh haker food u can find here, like Ipoh Ho-fun, Dry Curry noodle, Satay Babi & the famous white coffee.


The street it self is like Penang Georgetown, colonial style building. Very old school, very nostalgic. I like very much and the weather that day really permit me to walk around as it was cloudy.


My first stop is a curry noodle house called "Sun Seng Fatt" on Jalan market. I order ho-fun dry curry. Is freaking nice, although people there normally eat with mee or meehun, but since Ipoh is famous with ho-fun, I'll go with ho-fun. And is really delicious. Of course with a cup of ice- white coffee to top it up. Is really my best breakfast, since normally I only eat nasi lemak in the morning.


This is the famous "Thean Chun", they serve the best Ipoh ho-fun and custard, u can find some satay babi there also. Cause I just took my break fast I didn't eat there, I continue walking and sight seeing.


As I keep walking I pass the Kinta River which split the 2 towns that is the old town and the new town. I walk around 10min from Jalan Bandar Timah, to the Market place.


Before I reach the Pasar Besar Ipoh, I saw some abandoned building. I which I have an SLR on my hand, as the view of the abandoned building is nice. My artistic sense kick in, I stand there for a while to admire the view.


This is the Pasar Besar Ipoh, alot of people doing their marketing there. You can also find alot of white coffee bean sell here.


If you scare of the hot market you can always go opposite the pasar besar to Yik Foong complex. Where got some Air-condition to chill you down.


I spot this old signage which look like those signage from the 60's or 70's.


Again I spot a funny signage bearing the name "PurBerry", cannot tahan. Why don't just put Dolce & Banana.


The convoy of my Penang relaltive reach Ipoh, then I join then and visit my Ipoh's relative, which I don't know about untill recently. They have a old-old school house. The house remind me of my grandpa house. I think the house is around 100 years old. The kitchen look creepy but alot of nostalgic feeling into it. They still cook their food with carcoal.


My brother and the relatives are admiring the hall.


The wall bring back a lot of memory of my grandpa's house. The colour skim and door design are all the same. Maybe last time got not much choices in choosing colour and door panel.


Again I wish I have a digital SLR to shoot more nicer picture and stuff.


Is a very big house, with a big compund. Alot of mosquito to. While I was outside taking picture the mosquito get a few good bite on me.


They still maintain the place very nicely. The furniture all are sure older then me, but still very solid. Sure not like the stuff of Ikea.




After my parent and uncle auntie chit chat with the relative in Ipoh, we decided to drop by at "Thean Chun" to have some good food. The place is famous for Popiah also. But some said the popiah in Padang, penang taste nicer.


Of course I must have my satay babi intestine, before I join the convoy back to Penang. Raymond if u reading this "must try" if you coming down to Ipoh. Ask me to come around also.....haha

In this trip I learn alot of backing packing stuff, like have to prepare or plan your journey, so can have more time eating all the good food in Ipoh. Is more like a eating trip to me. Of course we still go and eat in some places that I forget to take picture, maybe the food is so good that I keep on eating without bother about taking picture. But next time I come, I sure eat all their good food in both old & new town. Like the Tauge Chicken & Hokkien Ho-fun. Ipoh sure have good heritage and good food that is everywhere in the town. Anyone want to join me to Ipoh again. But I'll be walking in the town, not taking car. As I learn, you see more when u walk.

After this trip also inspire me to check out other town with good food. Melaka will be my next target. To go and savour some good food and sight seeing. A day trip or weekend trip will be fruitful to visit Malaysi hidden food treasures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The abandoned building is actually the remaining of a fire that swept the street about 2 years ago. They were initially stores selling school uniform and bags.