Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stefen Sagmeister in Malaysia

Yesterday is one of the memorable day I have, meeting the graphic designer which I respect his work dearly, I even sent my resume to him once, of course my standard is not his taste I think. So yesterday is the first time he's giving a talk in Malaysia. The event is held in Security Commision in Kiara, KL.

I exchange my ticket for the button to go in the auditorium. But off all the thing, the button look like, Hello Stefeni rather then Hello Stefen!. Or maybe is just me.

Once in the auditorium the crowd are filling up the space. With-in 15 minutes, the whole hall is pack with people. More then what I expected it to be.

Woo lah, at last he appear in front of the crowd, mr. Stefen Sagmeister. The emcee introduce him as naughty, down to earth and friendly person. He look like one too.

So he start the talk with spliting into 4 segment, I don't really recall all but if not mistaken is 1) Music design 2) Social design 3) Corporate design 4) I can't remember the 4th one.

He may not be an interesting speaker, but he do make alot of joke that the whole auditorium laugh on. His work is respectable. One of his quote is "Guts always work for me", "Every one always think they are right" & "Money does not make me happy".

The question from the floor, do u think of becoming famous when u started in graphic? Of course his answer is yes. But he do admit is a hard earn process. Where he learn from and the challenge that make him...him.

I get abit bored from the question and answer thing, So I play around with my camera. Not good at all in indoor shot. I guess Malaysian are just not good in asking question. Not many question were ask. Only 4 or 5. If u notice by now, u basically know I sit behind there, where my camera couldn't zoom in anymore.

He autograph his book, the "made u look" book which publish in year 2000. Is a good book, I will encourage people to buy it(for those who study design).

This talk really open up a few suggestion that every think u can think off, can be an idea that people already use. There is no such thing as the world best graphic designer, as it is subjective. But they do have world most influential graphic designer. His work have make people think more and try to beat it. Sagmeister is Sagmeitster, his work and his originality is one thing will confuse art and graphic design. So is graphic design an artist, are we business base or art base. In the end is just a judgement. Thanks Stefen Sagmeister for a good talk! Hope to see u again in Malaysia! Even better if we can fight for a project to help me improve more on creativity.

No comments: